Marie Marguerite d’Youville founded the Sisters of Charity of Montreal, known as the Grey Nuns, in 1737. She touched the lives of thousands during her life and has affected the lives of countless more since her death in 1771. Her mission lives on today in those who, like her, show the compassionate love of God in ministry to the poor in body, mind, or spirit. She was given the title of “Mother of Universal Charity” at her beatification in 1959 and pronounced “Saint” on December 9, 1990.
Youville Place in Lexington once served as the Provincial House for the Sisters of Charity (Grey Nuns of Montreal). In 1997, the forward-thinking sisters established Youville Place as a 92-unit assisted living residence where the retired sisters lived and welcomed lay residents to the community. In 2008, Covenant Health Systems, Inc. of Tewksbury, Massachusetts, became the sole sponsor of Youville Place, where a number of retired sisters continue to live with other residents.
Youville House in Cambridge was established in 1998. The 95-unit, eight-story residence, formerly a school of practical nursing, shares the campus with Spaulding Hospital, and is located between Harvard and Inman Squares.